Monday 20 February 2017

Chocolate Sandwich Biscuits (Bourbons)

I still can't drive and for the last few weeks, because of roadworks,  the bus hasn't been running through the village so I'm feeling a bit isolated. I can't just pop out to the shop, so when the boys had been talking about how to decorate my Birthday cake, I had to see what I could find to add to my online food order. I found candles, sparklers and a cake board, but not the wheat free sprinkles I'd been after. But I did spot a pack of biscuit cutters (I have a bit of a weakness for biscuit cutters)... What better excuse than a birthday present to myself!
Biscuits
105g Gluten Free Plain Flour (I used white bread flour)
30g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
15g Cocoa Powder
60g Caster Sugar (plus extra tsp for sprinkling)
60mls Dairy & Soya Free Margarine
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract or Paste
30mls Milk Substitute

Cream Filling
100g Icing Sugar
50g Dairy and Soya Free Margarine
2tbsp Cocoa Powder
25g Melted Dairy and Soya Free Chocolate (cooled slightly)

Put dry ingredients in a bowl.
Oops, managed to post this one wrong way up!
Add the margarine (chop if using hard margarine such as Stork).

Rub in margarine until it looks like breadcrumbs.
Add the milk substitute and bring together with a blunt knife.

Use your hand to knead lightly into a smooth ball.
Roll out to about 3-4mm thick and cut into desired shapes.
I sprinkled mine with a little caster sugar for the authentic Bourbon look.
Bake at 180ºC for 12-15mins. Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
Whisk the margarine, cocoa and icing sugar until creamy, add the melted chocolate and continue to whisk until evenly mixed.
When the biscuits are cool, fill with cream and sandwich together.
You don't have to pipe in filling, spreading with a knife works too.
I even managed to sneak one with a coffee before they all got eaten!


No comments:

Post a Comment