Sunday 1 September 2013

Baked Doughnuts

For anyone who doesn't know me (I need to hold my hands up AA style), I have a problem. I have a weakness for biscuit cutters and baking tins and the only thing stopping me buying more is that I have run out of space in my cupboard. 

Unfortunately, I was browsing on Amazon and made the mistake of looking in the recommended for me bit and spotted a doughnut tin. There has been a lot of excitement in the gluten free world on Twitter about doughnuts, since they sold out rapidly at the Allergy and Free From Show. I missed them there, but it did make me think of the lovely fresh ones my mum used to make as a treat on birthdays (we used to get a birthday menu with things we could choose from). 

I always find shop bought ones a disappointment having been brought up with them still hot and filled with homemade raspberry jam. As for doughnut stalls selling ring doughnuts, I haven't found one that doesn't smell of old fat. I didn't realise doughnut tins existed, but saw this as a great way to try a healthier version (also a: a good excuse to eat them more often, and b: a good excuse to buy another tin!).

My only problem then was whether to get a tin for normal sized ones or mini ones. I bought both... I told you I had a problem...

This recipe was enough for 6 big doughnuts and 12 mini doughnuts. You could make half quantity if only one tin. I haven't yet tried keeping 1/2 mix to use again once tin is empty, but it would probably still work (but keep in fridge to slow down growth from the yeast).

100g GF Bread Flour
50g Corn Flour
50g Sorghum Flour
1heaped tsp Baking Powder
30g Sugar
60mls Oil
200mls Milk Substitute (warmed to hand hot)
1tsp Vanilla
1tsp Dried Active Yeast (quick yeast still needs to be added to the liquid in wheat free bread. It doesn't get kneaded so doesn't have time to dissolve and mix in if added to dry ingredients)


Add yeast to the milk substitute and leave to foam.

Add all dry ingredients to a bowl.

Beat in vanilla, oil and yeast mixture with a balloon whisk.

Transfere mixture to a piping bag (could be spooned in, but would be messier...).

Pipe round the greased rings on the tin.


Leave to rise for 20-30mins.

Bake at 220ÂșC until lightly browned(10-12mins for large ones and about 8 mins for mini ones). Don't worry about them looking cracked on the tops, they will be smooth and round underneath.

Turn out of the tins and cool on a wire rack. 

Left plain, these freeze really well, or...

-Toss in cinnamon sugar while still hot.
-Dip in melted dairy and soya free chocolate.

-Drizzle with icing (I used icing sugar mixed with raspberry puree).




2 comments:

  1. Snap this is how I spent my weekend, been tweeting about my doughnut pan for weeks! I used a different recipe without yeast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds... Actually, I did these a while ago, just not got round to posting sooner (I have about 40 unfinished drafts, waiting to check weights or do pictures). I have a batch of cinnamon ones in the freezer too that are great split and toasted like a cinnamon bagel (oddly, the children preferred them iced...). When you have it posted, can I add a link to this in case anyone needs a yeast free version?

    ReplyDelete